[Python-ideas] High time for a builtin function to manage packages (simply)?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Sep 10 05:32:23 CEST 2015

Andrew Barnert via Python-ideas writes:

 > If StackOverflow/SU/TD questions are any indication, a
 > disproportionate number of these people are Mac users using Python
 > 2.7, who have installed a second Python 2.7 (or, in some cases, two
 > of them) alongside Apple's.

Often enough it's the other way around: the distro catches up to the
user as they upgrade.  I didn't even realize "10.10 Yosemite" had 2.7,
this box has been upgraded from "10.7 Lion" or so, and I just use
MacPorts 2.7 all the time.  I haven't worried about what Apple
supplies as /usr/bin/python in 6 or 7 years.

I don't know if this matters to the effect on pip, but I thought it
should be mentioned.