[Python-ideas] High time for a builtin function to manage packages (simply)?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Sep 10 05:37:55 CEST 2015

Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> writes:

> […] in the short term, it would help a lot of pip at startup took a
> peek at $PATH and issued some warnings or errors if it detected the
> most common types of misconfiguration? (E.g. the first python/python3
> in $PATH does not match the one being used to run pip.)

Isn't that something that would be better in the Python executable
itself? Many commands would be better with a (overridable) default
behaviour as you describe.

--
 \        “Considering the current sad state of our computer programs, |
  `\     software development is clearly still a black art, and cannot |