[Python-ideas] Should our default random number generator be secure?

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 18:05:03 CEST 2015

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 9:07 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>
wrote:

> Executive summary:
>
> The question is, "what value is there in changing the default to be
> crypto strong to protect future security-sensitive applications from
> naive implementers vs. the costs to current users who need to rewrite
> their applications to explicitly invoke the current default?"

* [ ] DOC: note regarding the 'pseudo' part of pseudorandom and MT
  * https://docs.python.org/2/library/random.html
  * https://docs.python.org/3/library/random.html

* [ ] DOC: upgrade cryptography docs in re: random numbers
  * https://cryptography.io/en/latest/random-numbers/

* [ ] ENH: random_(algo=) (~IRandomSource)
* [ ] ENH: Add arc4random
* [ ] ENH: Add chacha
* [ ] ENH: Add OpenBSD's

* [ ] BUG,SEC: new secure default named random.random
  * must also be stateful / **reproducible** (must support .seed)
  * justified as BUG,SEC because: [secure by default is the answer]
    * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_fixation
      * https://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/384.html
        * The docs did not say "you should know better."
      * see also: hash collisions: https://bugs.python.org/issue13703

  * [ ] REF: random.random -> random.random_old