[Python-ideas] Should our default random number generator be secure?

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 14:09:07 CEST 2015

On 15/09/15 10:45, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> k-dim equidistribution is a way to measure how well your
> PRNG behaves, because it describes in analytical terms how
> far you can get with increasing the linear complexity of your
> RNG output.

Yes and no. Conceptually it means that k subsequent samples will have
exactly zero correlation. But any PRNG that produces detectable
correlation between samples 623 steps apart is junk anyway. The MT have
proven equidistribution for k=623, but many have measured
equidistribution for far longer periods than that. Numerical
computations are subject to rounding error and truncation error whatever
you do. The question is whether the deviation from k-dim
equidistribution will show up in your simulation result or drown in the
error terms.

Sturla