[Python-ideas] add a single __future__ for py3?

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Sat Sep 19 19:50:04 CEST 2015

Hi all,

the common advise, these days, if you want to write py2/3 compatible code,
is to do:

from __future__ import absolute_import
from __future__ import division
from __future__ import print_function
from __future__ import unicode_literals

https://docs.python.org/2/howto/pyporting.html#prevent-compatibility-regressions

I'm trying to do this in my code, and teaching my students to do it to.

but that's actually a lot of code to write.

It would be nice to have a:

from __future__ import py3

or something like that, that would do all of those in one swipe.

IIIC, l can't make a little module that does that, because the __future__
imports only effect the module in which they are imported

Sure, it's not a huge deal, but it would make it easier for folks wanting
to keep up this best practice.

Of course, this wouldn't happen until 2.7.11, if an when there even is one,
but it would be nice to get it on the list....

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov