[Python-ideas] add a single __future__ for py3?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Sep 21 06:22:24 CEST 2015

Luciano Ramalho writes:

 > I don't think students should be worrying about writing code that is
 > Python 2 and Python 3 compatible.

I suppose Chris's students, as for many of those who post RFEs to aid
in teaching Python programming (vs. using Python to teach
programming), are professional programmers, not full-time students.  I
suspect it's their job to write such code.<wink/>

One thing that I've learned in over a decade on this list is that the
"consenting adults" attitude is very practical in focusing discussions
here.  If some posts "I have this use case <explanation>, that I'm
addressing with this code: <code>", it's perfectly reasonable and
often useful to reply, "Don't use that code: in Python the TOOWTDI is
<more code>."

But most of the time "that use case is invalid" isn't any help.  The
use case may even be "stupid", but mandated by employer or by contract
with client, or by existing code that nobody knows how to maintain.
YMMV, but I've been emparrassed every time I've written something to
the effect of "you should make your use case go away."  The OP usually
cannot make it go away.  The most that usually should be said is "it's
very difficult to serve that use case elegantly in Python, and here's
why."