[Python-ideas] add a single __future__ for py3?

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Mon Sep 21 15:45:38 CEST 2015

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015, at 09:08, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 02:21:21AM -0400, Random832 wrote:
> > Yeah, well, that won't be a problem for this use case until Python 2.8
> > comes out.
>
> There will not be an official Python 2.8.

Well, yes, "until Python 2.8 comes out" was meant to be a synonym for
"never". But Chris Angelico since pointed out that it would be a problem
for Python 3 since it's intended to be used for 2/3 compatible scripts.

I think I'd originally read the use case as "make Python 2 as similar to
Python 3 as possible so that people learning on Python 2 won't learn as
many bad habits", without anything about explicitly running the same
scripts on Python 3.