[Python-ideas] Null coalescing operators

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 03:21:11 CEST 2015

On 2015-09-22 03:59:07 +0000, Andrew Barnert via Python-ideas said:

> I'm not saying they have a right to expect/demand that Guido never
> change his mind about anything anywhere ever, just that maybe they get
> a little extra consideration on backward compatibility with their use
> of ? than with their use of ! or % (which have been in use as operators
> or parts of operators for decades).

I just wanted to quickly comment on what my original stance was
regarding IPython's extensions to the base Python language.  This was
where I stood as I made decisions when the project was basically just
me, and over time we've mostly adopted this as project policy.

We fully acknowledge that IPython has to be a strict superset of the
Python language, and we are  most emphatically *not* a fork of the
lanugage intended to be incompatible. We've added some extensions by
hijacking a few characters that are invalid in the base language for
thigns we deemed to be useful while working interactively, but we
always accept that, if the language moves in our direction, it's our
job to pack up and move again to a new location.

In fact, that already happened once: before Python 2.4, our prefix for
"magic functions" was the @ character, and when that was introduced as
the decorator prefix, we had to scramble.  We carefully decided to pick
%, knowing that an existing binary operator would be unlikely to be
added also as a new unary prefix.

Now, accepting that as our reality doesn't mean that at least we don't
want to *inform* you folks of what our uses are, so that at least you
can consider them in your decision-making process.  Since in some
cases, that means there's an established ~ 15 years of a community with
a habit of using a particular syntax for something, that may be
confused if things change.  So at least, we want to let you know.

Due precisely to these recent conversations (I had a very similar
thread a few days ago with Nick about the ! operator, which we also use
in all kinds of nasty ways), we have started documenting more precisely
all these differences, so the question "where exactly does IPython go
beyond Python" can be answered in one place.  You can see the progress
here:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/8821

We hope this will be merged soon into our docs, and it should help you
folks have a quick reference for these questions.

Finally, I want to emphasize that these things aren't really changing
much anymore, this is all fairly stable.  All these choices have by now
stabilized, we only introduced the @ -> % transition when python 2.4
forced us, and more recently we introduced the notion of having a
double-%% marker for "cell magics", but that was ~ 4 years ago, and it
didn't require a new character, only allowing it to be doubled.

Best,