[Python-ideas] Null coalescing operators

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Sep 23 08:19:37 CEST 2015

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 22, 2015, at 6:21 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com

In fact, that already happened once: before Python 2.4, our prefix for
"magic functions" was the @ character, and when that was introduced as the
decorator prefix, we had to scramble.�

Note that the userbase of iPython was orders of magnitude smaller then --
changes like that would be a much bigger deal now.

And while iPython was born in the scientific software community, and sees a
lot (most) of its use there, it is by no means specific to that use case.

In fact, if you use the standard REPL at all -- I encourage you to give it
a try -- you will be very glad you did.

-Chris