[Python-ideas] Dunder method to make object str-like

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Apr 7 12:27:30 EDT 2016

On 07.04.2016 17:42, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 1:26 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

>>> It's for making string-like objects into strings.
>>>
>>> __str__ isn't suitable because, ints, for example, have a __str__
>>> method, but they aren't string-like.
>>
>> Depends on what you define as "string-like", I guess :-)
>>
>> We have abstract base classes for such tests, but there's nothing
>> which would define "string-like" as ABC. Before trying to define
>> a test via a special method, I think it's better to define what
>> exactly you mean by "string-like".
>>
>> Something along the lines of numbers.Number, but for strings.
>>
>> To make an object string-like, you then test for the ABC and
>> then call .__str__() to get the string representation as string.
>
> The trouble with the ABC is that it implies a large number of methods;
> to declare that your object is string-like, you have to define a
> boatload of interactions with other types, and then decide whether
> str+Path yields a Path or a string.

Not necessarily. In fact, a string.String ABC could have only
a single method: .__str__() defined.

> By defining __tostring__ (or
> whatever it gets called), you effectively say "hey, go ahead and cast
> me to str any time you need a str". Instead of defining all those
> methods, you simply define one thing, and then you can basically just
> treat it as a string thereafter.

As I said: it's all a matter of defining what a "string-like"
object is supposed to mean. With the above definition of string.String,
you'd have exactly what you want.

> While you could do this by simply creating a whole lot of methods and
> making them all return strings, you'd still have the fundamental
> problem that you can't be sure that this is "safe". How do you
> distinguish between "object that can be treated as a string" and
> "object that knows how to add itself to a string"? Hence, this.

I suppose the .__add__() method of Path objects would implement
the necessary check isinstance(other_obj, string.String) to find
out whether it's safe to assume that other_obj.__str__() returns
the str version of the "string-like" object other_obj.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Apr 07 2016)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/