[Python-ideas] A tuple of various Python suggestions

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 10:06:04 EDT 2016

On 11 April 2016 at 22:01, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Executive summary: Keep your shirts on, Python-Dev is scaling.
>
> Nick Coghlan writes:
>  > On 11 April 2016 at 07:24, Keith Curtis <keithcu at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > > I personally find Python very stable, but the bug counts have been
>  > > heading in the wrong direction:
>  > > http://bugs.python.org/issue?@template=stats
>  > >
>  > > I recently discovered those charts, and they have valuable data that
>  > > can be turned into action.
>  >
>  > How?
>
> Not to be Pollyanna about it; there are problems with Python's issue
> management (and Nick knows them better than most).

Yeah, I have a biased perspective here as I have a vested interest in
folks taking greater advantage of any support contracts they already
have (since Red Hat's subscriptions are what ultimately pay my
salary), and my pre-Red-Hat employment was with a large scale system
integrator, so I'm now inclined to look for supply chain based
solutions to capacity problems whenever there are credible commercial
incentives to be found.

Since keeping high touch customers out of community channels also
helps reduce the overall support burden for volunteers, I'll generally
advocate for that approach whenever the questions of increased
development capacity or changes in focus come up :)

Cheers,
Nick.