[Python-ideas] A tuple of various Python suggestions

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Apr 11 18:45:38 EDT 2016

On 4/11/2016 4:56 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 6:51 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Many of the oldest issues remain open because they're rare, easily
>> worked around, hard to fix, only arguably a bug, or some combination
>> of the above. Even reviewing them to see if they're still valid can be
>> time consuming.
>
> Maybe this is where someone like Keith can contribute? Go through a
> lot of old issues and inevitably there'll be some that you can
> reproduce with the version of Python that was current then, but can't
> repro with today's Python, and they can be closed as fixed. Doesn't
> take any knowledge of C, and maybe not even of Python (if there's a
> good enough test case there).

Or: look through old enhancement requests.  There are many that were
posted before python-ideas existed.  Today, they would likely be posted
here first, and if no support (as happens more often than not), never
posted.  Or is posted first to bugs, told to go to python-ideas for
discussion.  Anyone could repost old ideas to python-list now and post
the result of discussion back to the tracker.  If the discussion
suggests rejection, then a coredev can close the issue.  (I certainly
would.)  Closure is not erasure, so the idea is there permanently anyway.

--
Terry Jan Reedy