[Python-ideas] PEP8 operator must come before line break

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Apr 14 13:23:59 EDT 2016

Thanks, that was obviously an oversight. I've fixed the PEP.

If the discussion ends up with rough consensus on changing this I will
happily change it back (and change all other occurrences to match the
new rule).

Note that my request for "rough consensus" does *not* imply a vote. +1
and -1 votes (nor fractions in between) should not be posted --
however cogent arguments for/against the status quo (or for
relinquishing the rule altogether) are welcome.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Matthias welp <boekewurm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Where in PEP 8 does it violate its own advice
>
> As the OP did not reply this fast, from the webpage (/dev/peps/pep-0008)
>
> section indentation, just after 'Acceptable options in this situation
> include, but are not limited to: '
>
> # Add some extra indentation on the conditional continuation line.
> if (this_is_one_thing
>         and that_is_another_thing):
>     do_something()
>
> That is the only place I could find just now.

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)