[Python-ideas] PEP8 operator must come before line break

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Apr 14 16:55:25 EDT 2016

> however cogent arguments for/against the status quo (or for
> relinquishing the rule altogether) are welcome.

Outside of Python, binary operators are (in the examples I can think of)
more often more strongly associated with the second argument than the
first, even to the point of switching the order of 2nd arg and operator.

English: Start with A, add B, subtract C, and assign the result to D.

Assembly:
   load A
   add B
   sub C
   stor D

Calculator tape (with literals, not symbols)
   B +
   C -
   D =

I suggest relinquishing the rule, except maybe to suggest consistency
within an expression, if not the whole file.

--
Terry Jan Reedy