[Python-ideas] Have REPL print less by default

Franklin? Lee leewangzhong+python at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 01:32:41 EDT 2016

On Apr 17, 2016 11:24 PM, "Ben Finney" <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> Surem, that would be a good place for it. I think that's much more
> feasible than changing the behaviour of ‘repr’ for this purpose.

Huh? I never meant for any change to happen to `repr`. The desired behavior
is, "Set default: Each command entered into the REPL should have limited
output (without loss of capability for a newbie)." The proposal is to have
the REPL determine when it's going to output too much.

My example, as originally written, `print`d the huge object. I realized
that this was too specific, and I didn't *really* care about `print` as
such, so I changed it to (what I thought was) a more general example. I
should've just had multiple examples.