[Python-ideas] Have REPL print less by default

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Apr 18 14:39:32 EDT 2016

"Franklin? Lee"
<leewangzhong+python at gmail.com> writes:

> On Apr 18, 2016 3:25 AM, "Nick Coghlan" <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So folks are already free to change their REPL to work however they
> > want it to: set sys.displayhook and sys.excepthook from a
> > PYTHONSTARTUP file
>
> I don't want arguments like, "This can already be done, for yourself,
> if you really need it."

That's your prerogative.

This forum is for discussing whether ideas are right for changing
Python, though. Arguments such as “This can already be done, for
yourself, if you need it” are salient and sufficient, and not to be
dismissed.

> I want arguments like, "This will break my workflow."

You're free to solicit those arguments. You'll need to ackonwledge,
though, that they are in addition to the quite sufficient argument of
“already possible for people to get this in Python as is, if they want
it”.

--
 \         “I think Western civilization is more enlightened precisely |
  `\     because we have learned how to ignore our religious leaders.” |