[Python-ideas] Have REPL print less by default

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Apr 19 17:37:14 EDT 2016

On 4/19/2016 5:35 AM, Koos Zevenhoven wrote:

> I was once a basic user, but I still have no idea what "IDLE" is. Does
> it come with python?

Yes, unless explicitly omitted either in packaging or installation.
(Some redistributors might put it with a separate
tkinter/tix/idle/turtle/turtledemo package.  The windows installer has a
box that can be unchecked.)

> I have tried
>
> $ idle

This and idle3 works on some but not all systems.

> $ python -m idle

python -m idlelib (or idlelib.idle -- required in 2.x)

> $ python -m IDLE
> $ python --idle

> To be honest, I do remember seeing a shortcut to IDLE in one of my
> Windows python installations,

Right.  Once run, the IDLE icon can be pinned to the taskbar.

 > and I've seen it come up in discussions.
> However, it does not seem to me that IDLE is something that beginners
> would know to turn to.

Yet many do, perhaps because instructors and books suggest it and tell
how to start it up.

--
Terry Jan Reedy