[Python-ideas] PEP 525: Asynchronous Generators

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 11:52:31 EDT 2016

On 2016-08-09 10:18 AM, Adam Bartoš wrote:

> [..]
> I understand that having the concepts truly ortogonal would mean tons
> of work, I just think it's pity that something natural doesn't work
> only because of implementation reasons. However, introducing async
> generators is an important step in the right way. Thank you for that.

Hi Adam,

Thanks a lot for the positive feedback.

Not adding 'yield from' as part of PEP 525 isn't dictated solely by the
implementation difficulties.  It's also important to scope the new
features in such a way that we're confident that the implementation is
solid, well reviewed and well tested.  While I myself can see why having
'yield from' in asynchronous generators would be cool, there are many
more important things and details that we have to do "right" with this PEP.

Therefore my idea is to move in small steps: introduce asynchronous
generators in 3.6; extend them with asynchronous 'yield from' in 3.7, if
there is interest in that.

Thanks,
Yury