[Python-ideas] Fix default encodings on Windows

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Tue Aug 16 10:59:59 EDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016, at 09:59, Paul Moore wrote:
> It probably should be. Although if we're changing the deprecation to a
> behaviour change, then maybe there's no point. But some of the
> arguments here about breaking code are hinging on the idea that people
> currently using the bytes API are using an (on the way to being)
> unsupported feature and it's not really acceptable to take that
> position if the deprecation wasn't announced. If the objections being
> raised here (in the context of Japanese encodings and similar) would
> apply equally to the bytes API being removed,

There also seems to be an undercurrent in the discussions we're having
now that using bytes paths and not unicode paths is somehow The Right
Thing for unix-like OSes, and that breaking it (in whatever way) on
windows causes code that Does The Right Thing on unix to require extra
work to port to windows. That's seemingly both the rationale for the
proposal itself and for the objections.