[Python-ideas] Force UTF-8 option regardless locale

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Aug 30 15:45:43 EDT 2016

On 30.08.2016 10:29, Victor Stinner wrote:
> Le 30 août 2016 02:05, "INADA Naoki" <songofacandy at gmail.com> a écrit :
>> How should the option be set?
>
> I propose to add a new -X utf8 option. Maybe if the use case is important,
> we might add an PYTHONUTF8 environment variable.
>
> The problem is that I'm not sure that an env var is the right way to
> configure Python on such environment? But an env var shouldn't hurt and it
> is common to add a new env var with a new cmdline option.
>
> I added PYTHONFAULTHANDLER=1/-X faulthandler for faulthandler and
> PYTHONTRACEMALLOC=N/-X tracemalloc=N for tracemalloc.

In PyRun we simply define a default for PYTHONIOENCODING and
set this to utf-8:

http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/doc/#_Toc452660008

The encoding guessing is still available by setting the env
var to "" (but this is hardly used).

So far this has been working great.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Aug 30 2016)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/