[Python-ideas] PEP: Distributing a Subset of the Standard Library

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Dec 7 03:33:00 EST 2016

I know that you started this thread focusing on the stdlib,
but for the purpose of distributors, the scope goes far
beyond just the stdlib.

Basically any Python module or package which the distribution can
provide should be usable as basis for a nice error message pointing to
the package to install.

Now, it's the distribution which knows which modules/packages
are available, so we don't need a list of stdlib modules
in Python to help with this.

The helper function (whether called via sys.excepthook() or perhaps
a new sys.importerrorhook()) would then check the imported
module name against this list and write out the message
pointing the user to the missing package.

A list of stdlib modules may still be useful, but it comes
with it's own set of problems, which should be irrelevant
for this use case: some stdlib modules are optional and
only available if the system provides (and Python can find)
certain libs (or header files during compilation).

For a distribution there are no optional stdlib modules,
since the distributor will know the complete list of available
modules in the distribution, including their external
dependencies.

In other words: Python already provides all the necessary
logic to enable implementing the suggested use case.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Dec 07 2016)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/