[Python-ideas] Better error messages [was: (no subject)]

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 08:48:04 EST 2016

On 11 December 2016 at 19:09, Sebastian Kreft <skreft at gmail.com> wrote:
> Note that there is a draft pep https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0473/
> that aims at adding structured data to bultin exceptions.
>
> I've tried implementing some of those but had a couple of test failures that
> weren't obvious to me how to solve.

If you haven't already, note that it's OK to post proposed patches to
the tracker even when they're still causing test failures - just note
that you know the patch is incomplete, and explain the errors that
you're seeing.

Core developers will often be able to spot relevant problems through
code review, and we're also pretty practiced at interpreting the
sometimes cryptic failures that the test suite can emit.

Cheers,
Nick.