[Python-ideas] A bit meta

Michael Selik mike at selik.org
Mon Feb 1 01:00:35 EST 2016

For what it's worth, my interest in starting this thread was, as a new
participant to the list:

- already overwhelmed by the frequency of emails
- archives are difficult to search for relevant previous conversations
- it's hard to observe agreement, but easy to observe disagreement
- it's hard to observe the opinions of decision-makers
- the last response in a conversation can feel like the consensus, creating
an incentive to "get the last word" by repeating oneself, by writing in a
style that discourages response, or by speaking on a different aspect of
the topic without direct response (as I suppose I am doing here)

The reason I latched onto Sjoerd's question of whether he had the right to
say "+1" was to highlight the issue of observing agreement, especially the
agreement of folks who can change the language. I'm not interested in a
voting system for the purpose of having a vote, but so I can see who has
been convinced of what, what clout they have, and whether another message
is useful.