[Python-ideas] A bit meta

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 01:05:20 EST 2016

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 5:00 PM, Michael Selik <mike at selik.org> wrote:
> For what it's worth, my interest in starting this thread was, as a new
> participant to the list:
>
> - already overwhelmed by the frequency of emails
> - archives are difficult to search for relevant previous conversations
> - it's hard to observe agreement, but easy to observe disagreement
> - it's hard to observe the opinions of decision-makers
> - the last response in a conversation can feel like the consensus, creating
> an incentive to "get the last word" by repeating oneself, by writing in a
> style that discourages response, or by speaking on a different aspect of the
> topic without direct response (as I suppose I am doing here)
>
> The reason I latched onto Sjoerd's question of whether he had the right to
> say "+1" was to highlight the issue of observing agreement, especially the
> agreement of folks who can change the language. I'm not interested in a
> voting system for the purpose of having a vote, but so I can see who has
> been convinced of what, what clout they have, and whether another message is
> useful.

It's worth noting that important decisions don't usually get made on
-ideas alone. If something's controversial and needs a lot of what
you're saying is hard to observe, it probably merits a PEP - the
current state of consensus or disagreement can be detailed in a
stand-alone editable document, rather than depending on mail archives.

ChrisA