[Python-ideas] List Comprehensions

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 05:18:27 EST 2016

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 9:10 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Chris Angelico writes:
>
>  > I wonder, does python-ideas need a bit more clarification somewhere
>  > that this is (almost) exclusively for the discussion of Python 3,
>  > as that's where new ideas can actually be implemented?
>
> It's not that simple because sometimes ideas for Python 3 are intended
> to making porting or transition from Python 2 simpler.  True, we hope
> that phase of Python 3 development is over by now, but you never know.
> %-Formatting for bytes was approved in March 2014 according to the PEP
> (and released in Python 3.5 last September).

Yes, that's true - but it's still a new feature for Python 3.5, not a
change to Python 2. Same with reinstating the u"..." prefix for
Unicode strings - clearly and solely for Py2 compat, but not a change
to Py2. Anyone who's proposing changes to the language needs to at
least be aware of Python 3, and have tried the code in question under
it. (Yes, there are very rare exceptions, where changes DO happen in
Py2 - hash randomization comes to mind - but if I were explaining the
list's purpose to someone, I'd ignore those rarities in the interests
of simplicity.)

ChrisA