[Python-ideas] List Comprehensions

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 05:27:16 EST 2016

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 9:22 PM, Alexander Walters
<tritium-list at sdamon.com> wrote:

> On 2/3/2016 05:18, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>
>> Yes, that's true - but it's still a new feature for Python 3.5, not a
>> change to Python 2. Same with reinstating the u"..." prefix for Unicode
>> strings - clearly and solely for Py2 compat, but not a change to Py2. Anyone
>> who's proposing changes to the language needs to at least be aware of Python
>> 3, and have tried the code in question under it. (Yes, there are very rare
>> exceptions, where changes DO happen in Py2 - hash randomization comes to
>> mind - but if I were explaining the list's purpose to someone, I'd ignore
>> those rarities in the interests of simplicity.)
>
> It's also not that simple, since 2.7 got put into a weird state that it will
> receive critical feature updates for at least 4 more years. We kinda have to
> be open to hearing about them on -ideas.  (I do not foresee that happening a
> lot, but it is possible for say... a security related feature that needs to
> be added to 2.7 to be suggested here - like the tls and hmac changes)

Those usually also apply to Python 3, and the cases where they don't
are *incredibly* rare. A lot rarer than the query that ought to have
gone to python-list in which someone assumes Python 2 (usually without
even saying anything about version) and asks for some new feature that
already exists in Py3, or uses example code that doesn't work under
Py3.

But I'm just spouting nonsense here. People won't read descriptions
anyway, so what difference does it make? :)

ChrisA