[Python-ideas] A bit meta

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Feb 4 14:21:01 EST 2016

On Jan 31, 2016, at 06:27 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:

>relating to Python. But go into any university around the world and ask
>some CS student, "what is Usenet?" -- let alone NNTP -- and it's quite
>possible you will get a blank stare.

Which is too bad because NNTP is a pretty decent protocol, apart from any
historical connection to Usenet.

>For instance, people have said they don't want to set up another account.
>But people forget that *every* mailing list on mail.python.org requires its
>own account to post (I personally have near a bazillion at this point).

Which will go away as we start to migrate to Mailman 3.  Sadly, one of the
more interesting SSO approaches was Persona which Mozilla has EOLd.  There are
ongoing discussions on how best to replace that.  At worst, you'll have a
single login per MM3 installation.  Maybe you'll be able to use something else
like a OpenID/Google/FB or other login but you won't be able to rely on
Persona to provide a verified email address on first login.

Cheers,
-Barry