[Python-ideas] A bit meta

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Feb 4 14:38:54 EST 2016

On Feb 01, 2016, at 01:59 AM, Nicholas Chammas wrote:

>I *have* been arguing that a modern web-based forum solves common discussion
>issues in a way that mailing lists cannot match.

And yet, web based forums come with their own limitations and problems.  I
won't outline all of my complaints about things like Gmail and other such
web-based solutions because they'll likely devolve into the general issue with
all of our communication mediums: it is a highly religious argument.

I have workflows and tools I use to efficiently engage in discussions with
open source communities.  They aren't perfect, but they are damn good and very
comfortable.  You have or prefer different tools and workflows that make your
engagement more fun and productive.  Are yours wrong and mine right?  Or vice
versa?  Of course not!

There's always going to be a conflict between status quo and change, and in
general I think that's healthy.  It's important for new arrivals to try to
understand why there's so much passion in the status quo, and it's good for
old-timers to be challenged now and then.  I think success depends on balance
and evolution rather than revolution.

In any case, all this is very interesting, but kind of pointless until and
unless people take ownership and responsibility for implementing something
different.  Take a good look at what Brett is doing to migrate us to git.  It
doesn't matter if I disagree with his choices, he's going to do the very hard
work of actually making it happen, bridge the gap between evolution and
revolution, and be the guy who ensures all the kinks are smoothed out.  And
that's the only way it will work -- kudo to him and the other folks who will
be making this happen.

Such changes are not short-term commitments, but I encourage those who really
want to see a change in how we communicate, to figure out how to make that
happen.  As I've said, for the part that interests me, I will work with
anybody who wants to make Mailman 3 and Discourse work better together.

Cheers,
-Barry