[Python-ideas] Incorporating something like byteplay into the stdlib

Sven R. Kunze srkunze at mail.de
Mon Feb 15 10:00:44 EST 2016

On 12.02.2016 23:55, Ethan Furman wrote:
> On 02/12/2016 02:38 PM, Andrew Barnert via Python-ideas wrote:
>
> > My proposal is that if we add bytecode optimizers, we should make it
> > possible to write them.
>
> +1

+1 from me.

Despite all of Yury's concerns, I find that step logical and not overly
problematic.

Yury seems to be anxious about bytecode optimizers being used as one of
the first-used features. However, without some proper docs this kind of
feature is useless anyway. Thus, the docs just need to make is explicit
what use-cases are supported (research, experimentation, no production,
etc.).

Furthermore, after you've gained experience with Python, you already
know (aka feel) that you cannot solve most of your (production) problems
by tweaking bytecode.

I, moreover, don't agree with Yury about the number of potential
optimizers. Sure, in the first years there will only be a few but
long-term the Python ecosystem can only benefit from competition among
bytecode optimizers. There are a lot of smart people out there who have
some time to spare (as can be seen from the current dynamic debate about
optimizing CPython).

Best,
Sven