[Python-ideas] How the heck does async/await work in Python 3.5

Joao S. O. Bueno jsbueno at python.org.br
Thu Feb 25 13:52:45 EST 2016

On 25 February 2016 at 15:42, Andrew Barnert via Python-ideas
<python-ideas at python.org> wrote:
> Is this still an issue? If I wanted to write, say, a BitTorrent client like Transmission or uTorrrent using Tkinter, and I fired the Tkinter loop after every selector poll, would it waste too much time checking for events from the OS and onidle handlers and so on thousands of times/second? (And if this is still an issue, is waking 50 times/sec still an acceptable way to solve it, or will you be keeping laptops from sleeping and so on?)

This sounds like we will need a "gear reduction"  adapter function to
be thrown in: a function that would count the maximum calls-per-second
for the low-update part of the code - maybe it could go as a decorator
in a helper project for AsyncIO.

(disclaimer: I was on a bad day, and yesterday on the local
hackerspace Python meeting I help coodinate, people asked for an
example tic-tac-toe after
I suggested exploring something with Pygame. We ended the night with
possibly the first 30 frames/sec tic-tac-toe ever)