[Python-ideas] Proposal to extend PEP 484 (gradual typing) to support Python 2.7

Robert McGibbon rmcgibbo at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 04:50:31 EST 2016

> At Dropbox we're trying to be good citizens and we're working towards
> introducing gradual typing (PEP 484) into our Python code bases (several
> million lines of code). However, that code base is mostly still Python
> 2.7 and we believe that we should introduce gradual typing first and
> start working on conversion to Python 3 second (since having static
> types in the code can help a big refactoring like that).

Big +1

I maintain some packages that are single-source 2/3 compatible packages,
thus we haven't been able to add type annotations yet (which I was
initially skeptical about, but now love) without dropping py2 support. So
even for packages that have already been ported to py3, this proposal would
be great.

-Robert