[Python-ideas] allow `lambda' to be spelled λ

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 04:51:02 EDT 2016

On 13 July 2016 at 05:00, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> Not too many people like Cobol-like spelling:
>
> add 1 to the_number
>
> over "n += 1". So I think that arguments for keeping "traditional
> spelling" are mostly about familiarity. If we learned lambda calculus in
> high school, perhaps λ would be less exotic.

It's probably also relevant in this context that more "modern"
languages tend to avoid the term lambda but embrace "anonymous
functions" with syntax such as

    (x, y) -> x+y

or whatever.

So while "better syntax for lambda expressions" is potentially a
reasonable goal, I don't think that perpetuating the concept/name
"lambda" is necessary or valuable.

Paul