[Python-ideas] allow `lambda' to be spelled λ

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 09:27:35 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 11:22 PM, SW <walker_s at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> To me the backslash already has a fairly strong association with "the
> next character is a literal". Overloading it would feel very strange.

But it also has the meaning of "the next character is special", such
as \n for newline or \uNNNN for a Unicode escape. However, I suspect
there might be a parsing conflict:

do_stuff(stuff_with_long_name, more_stuff, what_is_next_arg, \

At that point in the parsing, are you looking at a lambda function or
a line continuation? Sure, style guides would decry this (put the
backslash with its function, dummy!), but the parser can't depend on
style guides being followed.

-1 on using backslash for this.
-0 on λ.

ChrisA