[Python-ideas] allow `lambda' to be spelled λ

John Wong gokoproject at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 18:13:08 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 4:19 PM, Sven R. Kunze <srkunze at mail.de> wrote:

> On 14.07.2016 08:39, David Mertz wrote:

> That is, and should remain, a matter of tooling not core language (I don't
> want  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ColorForth>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ColorForth for Python).
>

> Very good point. That now is basically the core argument against it at
> least for me. So, -100 on the proposal from me. :)

+1. Editor's job, neither CPython's interpreter nor core grammar.

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 9:28 PM, Alexander Belopolsky <
alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Jul 13, 2016, at 4:12 PM, John Wong <gokoproject at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry to be blunt. Are we going to add omega, delta, psilon and the
> entire Greek alphabet?
>
> Breaking news: the entire Greek alphabet is already available for use in
> Python. If someone wants to write code that looks like a series of missing
> character boxes on your screen she already can.

You misunderstood my point. I was referring to identifier, what the
proposal is asking. Of course unicode is availalble, people always argue
about unicode, who wouldn't know Python doesn't support unicode.

Why should I write pi in two English characters instead of typing π? Python
is so popular among the science community, so shouldn't we add that as
well? Excerpt from the question on
http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/16010/is-it-bad-to-use-unicode-characters-in-variable-names
:

t = (µw-µl)/c  # those are used in
e = ε/c        # multiple places.
σw_new = (σw**2 * (1 - (σw**2)/(c**2)*Wwin(t, e)) + γ**2)**.5

If we were to vote on popularity, we'd look at comparing the size of
functional programmers vs scientists. Not saying functional programmers
don't matter (already stressed this in my previous comment), but this is
more like an editor plugin. I personally would love to see such in VIM.

Thanks.

John