[Python-ideas] allow `lambda' to be spelled λ

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 01:08:33 EDT 2016

On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 at 8:26:41 PM UTC+5:30, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> But if you perceive "Volunteers used their time as efficiently as
>
> possible whilst fully Unicode enabling the CPython compilation
> toolchain, since it was a dependency that needed to be addressed in
> order to permit other more interesting changes, rather than an
> inherently rewarding activity in its own right" as "wrongheaded", you
> may want to spend some time considering the differences between
> community-driven and customer-driven development.

Hi Nick

Sorry if I caused offense.  Ive been using Python since around 2001 and its
been a strikingly pleasant relationship.
There have been surprisingly few times when python let me down in a class
(Only exception I remember in all these years:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2011-July/609369.html  )

Which is a generally better record than most other languages.
So I remain grateful to Guido and the devs for this pleasing creation.

My “wrongheaded” was (intended) quite narrow and technical:

- The embargo on non-ASCII everywhere in the language except identifiers
(strings
  and comments obviously dont count as “in” the language
- The opening of identifiers to large swathes of Unicode widens as you say
  hugely the surface area of attack

This was solely the contradiction I was pointing out.