[Python-ideas] allow `lambda' to be spelled λ

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Thu Jul 21 11:09:59 EDT 2016

On Jul 21, 2016 7:26 AM, "Steven D'Aprano" <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> You are assuming that the programmer's font includes glyphs for all of
> six of those code points. More likely, the programmer will see Σ for the
> first code point, and the other five will display as a pair of "missing
> glyph" boxes. (That's exactly what I see in my mail client, and in the
> Python interpreter.)

Fwiw, on my OSX laptop, with whatever particular fonts I have installed
there, using a particular webmail service in the particular browser I use,
I see all six glyphs.

If I were to copy-paste into a text editor, all bets would be off, and
depend on the editor and it its settings. Same for interactive shells run
in particular terminal apps.

Viewing right now, on my Android tablet and the Gmail app, I see a bunch of
missing glyph markers. But quite likely I could install fonts or change
settings on this device to render them.