[Python-ideas] Good uses for staticmethod

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Fri Jul 22 14:41:16 EDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016, at 13:51, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Honestly, staticmethod was something of a mistake -- I was trying to
> do something like Java class methods but once it was released I found
> what was really needed was classmethod. But it was too late to get rid
> of staticmethod.

Regardless of its utility or lack thereof for methods, staticmethod
seems to me to be the best way to make an attribute of a class that
happens to be a function (or, theoretically, some other other descriptor
object). I like to think of it as an "implicit-magic remover".

Probably if it didn't exist something like it would have been proposed
eventually, under some other name like @funcattr or something.