[Python-ideas] package management is not python-dev's problem :-(

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Wed Jun 8 07:14:22 EDT 2016

> On Jun 8, 2016, at 7:02 AM, Thomas Güttler <guettliml at thomas-guettler.de> wrote:
>
>>> I would love to see a package management that is easy to use and which
>>> focuses on simple data structures.
>>
>> Also not python-dev's problem - that one falls on distutils-sig, PyPA
>> and the PSF (but unfortunately is never going to be entirely simple
>> given Python's broad scope of use).
>
> This statement make me sad. Why is this not python-dev's problem?

Historically python-dev hasn’t been involved much in it and almost all of the
tooling for packaging is developed externally to Python itself. This is generally
a strength, since packaging tools tend to work best when they’re not lied to the
lifetime of the language itself.

In the abstract, it *could* be python-dev’s problem, but Python as a community
didn’t choose that solution, it chose to delegate that task outside of it and
I (though I am biased) don’t think that trying to move it into the python-dev
domain brings much in the way of benefits.

—
Donald Stufft