[Python-ideas] Add citation() to site.py

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Thu Mar 17 16:32:17 EDT 2016

On Mar 17, 2016 1:21 PM, "Steve Dower" <steve.dower at python.org> wrote:

> I'd be most interested in Guido's opinion, but personally I think Python
is already well known enough to be a "household name" in any publication
that might include a citation. Nobody cites C++ or Java, to my knowledge,
and I'd rather be in that category than the other.

Norms are somewhat in flux here -- there's a lot of discussion going on in
academic circles right now about how to appropriately credit software.
Traditionally the answer has been that software mostly doesn't get credited
at all, which has predictably pernicious effects...

One way to think about it is that providing a preferred citation is useful
for folks who want to cite, and folks who don't want to cite will ignore it.

-n