[Python-ideas] Working with Path objects: p-strings?

Sven R. Kunze srkunze at mail.de
Thu Mar 31 05:09:54 EDT 2016

On 30.03.2016 18:49, Ethan Furman wrote:
> A solution here is to return what you receive:
>
> - str coming in? str going out
> - path coming in? path going out
>
> Of course, this gets muddied when multiple path/str arguments are
> accepted coming in.

I have bad memories about this kind of approach. It reminds me of the
peculiarity of os(.path)-related functions in Python 2 that return
either bytes or unicode depending on the argument's type.

That's utterly confusing and I remember us hunting bugs related to this
for hours (basically looking for "where does this byte string come from?").

Best,
Sven