[Python-ideas] Adding Type[C] support to PEP 484 and typing.py

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri May 13 01:58:54 EDT 2016

> Well, actually, I call them class objects all the time... Plus PEP 484
> (at least the recent revisions, though this has always been the
> BDFL-delegate's intention) tries to make a clear terminological between
> classes (the things you have at runtime) and types (the things that type
> checkers care about).

I definitely don't have enough CS background to understand the subtle
distinction you're drawing here (at least, I hope it's subtle ;) .  But
to me, it's a type -- and when writing metaclasses, my decision for the
name has always been between SomethingMeta or SomethingType, it's never
been SomethingClass.

> But that's water under the bridge, and we might a well write Type[C]
> rather than Class[C] to pub with `type`. And it seems only two people
> care about the difference -- Mark Shannon and myself. :-) So Type[C] it is.

Cool.  :)

--
~Ethan~