[Python-ideas] Match statement brainstorm

Fabrizio Messina zauddelig at gmail.com
Fri May 20 04:02:37 EDT 2016

why the unpacking has to happen automatically?

I would prefer something like:
switch *args:
case:...

Also I'm not a big fan of adding two new keywords to the syntax, I would
think something like:

switch *args:
           &(a==1, ...) as a, *b:
# code
&(a,b) as a, b:
# code
&(a,b, ...) as a, b, *c:
# code
&(...) as a:
# code

This would reduce the numbers of new keywords needed to 1, it would make
sense to use the & operator because all the conditions have to be TRUE and
this use at the moment raises SyntaxError.
For how I see it could also make sense to be able to pass the arguments to
a callable.

switch *args:
           &(a==1, ...): (lambda a, *b: ...)
&(a,b): (lambda a, b: [a, b])
&(a,b, ...): (lambda a, b, *c: [ a+1, b+1, *c])
&(...) as a: (lambda *a: [*a])