[Python-ideas] Technical possibilities for a syntax [was: Reverse assignment operators ...]

Nick Timkovich prometheus235 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 16:57:34 EST 2016

I think the best way to remove compound operators would be to go back in
time and hit Dennis Ritchie with a bat at the exact moment when the notion
of them crosses his mind.

In all seriousness, compound operators are in practically every modern
language and aren't going away. While you don't need to be a savant
polyglot and build a database-analysis-webapp in every language known to
man, everyone should break out of their own "language bubble" once they
have the basics of programming down. Do a tutorial and make a weekend
project with a couple other *disparate* languages with different paradigms
(not just close relatives like Python and Ruby, or Java and C and C++).
There's always something good in other perspectives and worth learning from.

Except Perl.