[Python-ideas] Support for OAuth2/OIDC in the standard distribution ?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 22:58:04 EST 2016

On 17 November 2016 at 21:35, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 November 2016 at 10:58, Cory Benfield <cory at lukasa.co.uk> wrote:
>>  Instead, I think we need a way to be able to ask the question: “what does the wider Python development community consider to be the gold standard for solving problem X?”.
>
> Agreed, that's the key unsolved question for Python packaging.

Not just Python packaging - open source publishing in general, and one
of the big metrics we have providing evidence of this is hosted
package growth rates.

Some registries try to present exponential growth in the number of
hosted packages as a good thing, but they're often wrong to do so: in
most cases, that kind of exponential growth is more likely to
represent a failure of software discovery mechanisms (so folks are
publishing their own custom solutions to previously solved problems
rather than adopting existing tools as "good enough") than it is
actual growth in the number of different problem domains with readily
available published toolkits for tackling them.

That's fine in a software-as-creativity-and-play context, but it's a
problem in the software-as-a-means-to-an-end mindset that is
applicable to most professional development activities.

The one upside I see to the current state of affairs is that this
problem isn't *new* - it's existed for as long as we've had software,
it was just hidden away behind the walls of the institutions writing
custom in-house software. Now that more software publication and
consumption activities are instead starting to happen in the open, the
problem can be quantified, and various automated techniques brought to
bear on tackling it.

Cheers,
Nick.