[Python-ideas] Contribution Reward System

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Nov 21 12:16:30 EST 2016

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 06:52:06PM -0500, andreas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was thinking if a reward system for contributions would add motivation
> to those who want to contribute.

Or, it could destroy the motivation of those who want to contribute for
the love of the language and a desire to give back to the community,
and encourage those who don't care about Python or the community but are
motivated by the selfish desire to collect points and rewards.

Giving people rewards is very risky. You can just as easily encourage
behaviour you didn't intend to.

Before coming to your suggested solution ("Rewards! Upvotes! Downvotes!
Reputation Points! Badges!") perhaps you can explain what problem you
hope to solve.

> Something in the lines of a reputation system.

If Python had a reputation system from the beginning, I expect that
Guido's reputation score would be about -10000 by now because he won't
add braces to the language.

> This has been done before with success.

Oh? Where? Can you give us more detail please?

--
Steve