[Python-ideas] Proposal for default character representation

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Fri Oct 14 07:56:29 EDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016, at 01:54, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Good luck with that last one. Even if you could convince the Chinese and
> Japanese to swap to ASCII, I'd like to see you pry the emoji out of the
> young folk's phones.

This is actually probably the one part of this proposal that *is*
feasible. While encoding emoji as a single character each makes sense
for a culture that already uses thousands of characters; before they
existed the English-speaking software industry already had several
competing "standards" emerging for encoding them as sequences of ASCII
characters.