[Python-ideas] Python multi-dimensional array constructor

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Oct 20 03:00:12 EDT 2016

Matt Gilson wrote:
> I think that
> it was mentioned that it might be possible for a user to _register_ a
> callable that would then be used when this syntax was envoked -- But
> having a global setting like that leads to contention.

I think for that to fly it would have to be a per-module
thing. Then each module using the syntax would be able
to choose the meaning of it.

A simple way to do this would be for the compiler to
translate it into something like

and then you would just define __array__ appropriately,
e.g.

    from numpy import array as __array__

Personally I'm not very enthusiastic about the whole
thing, though. I don't find the new syntax to be much of
an improvement, if any. Certainly nowhere near enough
to be worth adding syntax.

--
Greg