[Python-ideas] Smart/Curly Quote Marks and cPython

Ryan Birmingham rainventions at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 02:49:09 EDT 2016

The quotes I intended in this email are just “ ‘ ” , and
’ where the encoding is appropriate.
Internationalization was not the intent of this. I do believe that you have
a good point with supporting common quotes in other languages, but I
believe that such a change would be large enough to consider a PEP.
I am aware that there are other unicode characters, even in English with
the Quotation_Mark character property, but this proposed change aims to
solve the problem caused when editors, mail clients, web browsers, and
operating systems over-zealously replacing straight quotes with these
typographical characters.

-Ryan Birmingham