[Python-ideas] A better interactive prompt

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 17:03:19 EDT 2016

On 26 October 2016 at 21:43, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus at rath.org> wrote:
>> So I think that it would be really useful to be able to plug in a new
>> REPL, when it's available. This has a number of benefits:
>>
>> 1. We don't need to worry about incorporating any complex REPL code
>> into Python. The default REPL can remain simple.
>> 2. Users can choose their preferred REPL, core Python doesn't have to
>> get involved in UI decisions.
>
> Uh, these are not advantages of plugging in a new REPL when
> available. This describes the current situation.

I'm confused. With regard to (1), the current situation is that there
may be benefit to improving some aspects of the REPL. But we have no
option if we want to do that, other than modifying the standard REPL.
And for (2), sure users can choose the REPL they use (by running a
different application such as IPython), but they can't change which is
the *default* REPL (the one the "python" command provides). You can
disagree as to how significant those benefits are, but they are not
things we have right now.

> At least in your email above you seem to be arguing that Python should
> change to better accomodate your muscle memory. I don't want to
> diminuish your importance, but doesn't that maybe go a little too far?
> :-).

You're misinterpreting me. I'm saying that people in general are used
to getting an interactive prompt when they run Python. I'm suggesting
that being able to configure a better REPL for that situation would be
useful, because it allows people to gain the benefit of enhanced
capabilities, while not having to learn (and remember to use) a new
command. I'm also saying that making the REPL pluggable means that
core Python doesn't have to get into the business of
developing/maintaining a better REPL.

Yes, I'd find the capability useful. Would it help my credibility if I
proposed a change that made my life harder? :-)

Paul