[Python-ideas] Leave off "else" in ternary expression

Todd toddrjen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 11:28:16 EDT 2016

The null-coalescing discussion made me think about the current ternary "x =
a if b else c" expression.  In normal "if / else" clauses, the "else" is
optional.  I propose doing the same thing with ternary expressions
(although I don't know what the result would be called, a "binary
expression"?)

The idea would be to allow this syntax:

x = a if b

Which would be equivalent to:

x = a if b else x

I think this would be useful syntax.  In particular, I see it being useful
for default value checking, but can also be used to override the result of
particular corner cases from functions or methods..